Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ubuntu Studio Install Dell Vostro 1500

I just got a new Dell Vostro Here are the specs:
  • Vostro 1500, Intel Core 2 Duo T5470, 1.6GHz, 800Mhz FSB, 2M L2 Cache
  • 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD display with TrueLife for Vostro 1500
  • 2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 DIMM
  • 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (specifically chose this for better Linux compat)
  • 250GB Hard Drive, 5400RPM, SA160, for Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook
  • Genuine Windows XP Home Edition, SP2 (either this or Vista YUCK!)
  • Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron (Detected from Installer)
  • 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+R write capability
  • Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Mini card (specifically chosen for Linux Compat, we shall see)
  • No Built in Camera 1500 (trust me , you don't wanna see my ugly mug)
  • Dell Wireless 355 BlueTooth Module, (2.0+EDR) (have no idea why I chose this, besides cool factor)
  • Factory Enable 20GB Primary Partition (just to make it easier fer me)
I had an Ubuntu 7.04 alternate install CD lying around so I decided to use that , 'cause I'm too impatient to wait for a new CD download.

I booted and installed a "Command Line" install
after I installed and booted into the OS,
I followed the steps from This Article
After the upgrade finished and I rebooted I then started to install the Ubuntu Studio stuff as directed in these Instructions.

So far everything has installed without a hitch, yet the night is far from over ..

NVIDIA Card:
By Default Ubuntu uses the opensource driver.
I enabled the NVidia Driver by going to:
System Menu then -->Administration-->Restricted Drivers Manager
I enabled the NVidia Driver it did its thing and I rebooted and all was well (exccept for the Ubuntu Studio Splash lookin' kinda fuzzy).

Sound Issue:
Sound was not working so I had to do :
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-rt
I rebooted and sound worked

Wireless Network:
The Wireless Device was recognized from first boot.
I installed kwlan and was able to setup wireless networking.
Good thing I chose the Intel Wireless Device.

Extra Software:
I installed extra software by first installing AutoMatix

Obligatory Screenshot

No comments: